Location: Eastern China
Event: On September 13, the China Meteorological Administration issued an orange – level 2 – typhoon warning for Typhoon Muifa. Typhoon Muifa is forecasted to make landfall on the coast of Zhejiang province the afternoon or evening of September 14. Strong winds and moderate-to-heavy rain are forecast for Shanghai, Zhejiang, Jiangsu, and Anhui. Severe weather for the region is forecasted for September 13-15, with the storm having sustained winds of up to 100 mph.
Heavy rain and gusty winds are expected in Shanghai with winds on land from 24-46 mph and coastal areas reaching up to 46-73 mph. The storm in Shanghai is expected to have cumulative rain of 2-3 inches, with some areas reaching up to 4-6 inches. The impact is expected to weaken beginning Thursday.
- Monitor the local news for updates.
- Seek secure shelter.
- Visit the Joint Typhoon Warning Center and Tropical Storm Risk (TSR) for updated storm tracking information.
- U.S. Consulate General in Shanghai, China, +86 21 8011-2400 (24 hrs), ShanghaiACS@state.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- China Country Specific Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us at WeChat ID: Shanghai ACS