Location: Sichuan Province
Event: Severe rainstorms have impacted significant areas of Sichuan Province, resulting in flight delays, road closures, landslides, and train service disruptions this week, with additional storms anticipated in coming days. The China Meteorological Administration has activated a level four emergency response to the rainstorm. Local authorities have activated a level three emergency response for the first time in five years. Heavy rainfall is expected to continue into July 11. The following tourist destinations are now closed: Mt. Emei (since July 9, 2018), Jiuzhaigou (since July 1, 2018), and the Wenchuan Yanmen section of National Highway 213 (since July 10, 2018).
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media and the China Meteorological Administration’s website (http://www.cma.gov.cn/en2014/weather/) for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- U.S. Consulate General Chengdu, China
+86 28 8558-3992
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- China Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.