Petition for Alien Relative (Form I-130)

U.S. citizens residing in our jurisdiction may file a Form I-130 petition with either the DHS-USCIS Guangzhou Field Office or the Dallas Lockbox. The Guangzhou Field Office will accept Form I-130 petitions filed by U.S. citizens on behalf of their:

  • Spouse
  • Unmarried child under the age of 21
  • Parent (if the U.S. citizen is over the age of 21)

Direct filing with the Guangzhou office is provided as a courtesy to U.S. citizens who currently reside in our jurisdiction and plan to continue to reside in China while the Form I-130 petition is being processed. In determining a petitioner’s residence, we look at where the petitioner was domiciled for the six months prior to filing.  Individuals residing in the United States should submit the Form I-130 petition in the United States:  Form I-130 Filing.

Petitions filed on behalf of other family members (e.g., siblings, married children) must be filed with the Dallas Lockbox. Please note that all Form I-130 petitions filed by Lawful Permanent Residents must also be filed with the Dallas Lockbox.

The jurisdiction of the Guangzhou Field Office includes: Anhui, Chongqing, Fujian, Gansu, Guangdong, Guangxi, Guizhou, Hainan, Henan, Hubei, Hunan, Jiangsu, Jiangxi, Ningxia, Qinghai, Shandong, Shaanxi, Sichuan, Xinjiang, Tibet (Xizang), Xiamen, Yunnan and Zhejiang.

For people residing in other regions of mainland China, please contact the Beijing Field Office for further assistance: DHS-USCIS Beijing Office website

Petitions filed with the Guangzhou Field Office must be submitted in-person (petitions may not be filed by mail). Appointments must be made via our InfoPass website. Please note that the Consulate is closed on US and local holidays.

It is only necessary for the petitioner to be present at the time of in-person filing. The beneficiary’s presence is not required, although it may be helpful if additional information should be needed. After a petition is filed, a personal interview may be required for the Form I-130 to be adjudicated.  Both the petitioner and the beneficiary must be present for the scheduled interview.

A fee of $535 is required at the time of filing. The fee must be paid in U.S. dollars, Chinese RMB or by credit card (Visa, Master, American Express, Diners Club, Discover). Please be advised that checks (personal, travelers, certified, etc.) and money orders are not accepted.

To obtain the Form I-130 and instructions, please click here (PDF 1.62MB). Please see pages 6-9 of the Form I-130 instructions (PDF 233KB) for a full list of documents to submit with the Form I-130. If you are filing for your spouse, he or she must complete and sign the Form I-130A, Supplemental Information for Spouse Beneficiary.

An English translation of any document written in another language is required. A translation does not need to be notarized but it must include a statement by the translator certifying that the translation is accurate and that the translator is competent to translate. It should also include the translator’s full name and contact information. The translator should not be a party to the petition.

In addition to the documents listed in the Form I-130 instructions, please bring the following to your appointment:

If you were married in China, please bring the original marriage certificate (结婚证) as well as a notarial copy (结婚公证书).
Original passports for both the petitioner and beneficiary (if available) as well as copies of the biographic page of each passport.
If the beneficiary does not have a passport, please bring his or her original birth certificate (出生证) as well as a notarial copy (出生公证书).
A signed, written statement from the petitioner describing:  how the petitioner and beneficiary met, the courtship, marriage ceremony, and other major events of the marriage.
Two self-addressed EMS waybills.  (We will use these for any requests for evidence and the decision notice).  You should clearly write your address and telephone number.

The petitioner must actually reside in China in our jurisdiction for the prior six months to file with the Guangzhou Field Office.  Provide evidence of the petitioner’s residence in China, which may include:

  • A Residence Permit for Foreigner in the People’s Republic of China (居住许可).
  • A Chinese visa (签证) in the categories of D, J1, Q1, S1, X1, or Z.
  • Please note that U.S. citizens whose principal residence is not in China and/or who are abroad for a short-term visit as a tourist or for business must file the Form I-130 petition with the Dallas Lockbox. For example, temporary travelers under L, M, or F Chinese visas will generally not qualify for direct filing with the Guangzhou Field Office.

In addition to submitting the above documents, please answer every question on the Form I-130. The petitioner (not the beneficiary) must sign and date Part E of the Form I-130. Following these steps will enable us to complete the processing of your case in the most expeditious manner.

Q: How long will it take to process the Form I-130 petition?

A: DHS-USCIS usually processes cases in the order we receive them. The Guangzhou Field Office is generally able to issue a decision, a request for evidence, or an interview notice within 30 to 60 days of the initial filing. If the petition requires the submission of additional information or an interview, a new 30 to 60 day period will begin when we receive your response to our request or when the interview is complete (whichever is later). Please refrain from contacting our office for status inquiries prior to 60 days from the date we received your last submission or after the interview is completed. Your cooperation will help us ensure that we maintain expeditious and timely case processing.

Q: What if I receive a request for additional information or evidence?

A: You will need to respond to the notice within the timeframe indicated. DHS-USCIS regulations require that you submit all the requested materials at the same time, so do not send evidence to us in separate mailings unless specifically instructed to do so (e.g., DNA).

DHS-USCIS Guangzhou does not review or adjudicate cases or determine the sufficiency of evidence that is sent by email.  If you are responding to a request for evidence or a notice of intent to deny, you should send your response to us by mail. (You may wish to send it by EMS so that you can track your package.) Please refrain from contacting our office for status inquiries prior to 60 days from the date we received your last submission.

Q: How will I receive notifications regarding my case?

A: It depends. Generally, notifications will be sent to the Chinese address you provided on the Form I-130. It is, therefore, important that your address be legibly written in Chinese characters in Part C, Question 20 of the Form I-130. Sometimes, we contact petitioners by email or by telephone. So, please provide a working email address and telephone number with the petition.

Q:  Do I need to attend an interview?

After a petition is filed, a personal interview may be required for the Form I-130 to be adjudicated. Both the petitioner and the beneficiary must be present for the scheduled interview. DHS-USCIS Guangzhou will notify the petitioner in writing of the date and time of a scheduled interview. We are unable to accommodate specific interview date requests. You may request that the interview be rescheduled one time. If you do not appear for the second scheduled interview, we may administratively close or reject the petition; summarily deny the petition as abandoned and/or deny the petition based on the record.

If an emergency (such as your own illness or a close relative’s hospitalization) prevents you from appearing, notify our office as soon as possible. You may be required to submit evidence demonstrating your inability to attend the interview. Please be advised that rescheduling will delay processing of the petition, and it may require some steps to be repeated.

After the Form I-130 petition is approved, the beneficiary may be required to attend an interview for visa issuance for the U.S. Department of State. For additional information, please review the Department of State’s website on immigrant visa.

Q: What should I do if my case is pending more than 60 days and I have not received anything in the mail?

A: To inquire about a case pending more than 60 days, you may contact us at: We ask that you please refrain from contacting our office for status inquiries prior to 60 days from the date we receive your last submission. Your cooperation will help us ensure that we maintain expeditious and timely case processing for all of our customers.

Q: What happens after my case is approved by the Guangzhou Field Office?

Upon approving the Form I-130 petition, the Guangzhou Field Office will forward it to the Department of State Immigrant Visa Unit in Guangzhou. The Department of State will contact your relative directly to schedule a visa interview. If you should have questions about your case after it has been approved by our office, please contact the Department of State via their visa website or via telephone at 400-616-1121 (for callers in China) or 703-665-1986 (for callers in the United States). Please be advised that we will not have information regarding the status of your case after it has been approved by our office.

Q: I understand that after the Guangzhou Field Office approves my case, it will be forwarded to the Department of State. Where can I get information regarding the Department of State’s visa process??

The Department of State Immigrant Visa Unit in Guangzhou has information regarding this process which may be accessed through this link here.

Q: Am I required to present an affidavit of support and a medical report when I file the Form I-130 petition with the Guangzhou Field Office?

No, these are not required for the DHS-USCIS Guangzhou Field Office to process the Form I-130 petition. These are, however, issues that the Department of State will address in determining the beneficiary’s eligibility for an immigrant visa. For further information, please visit the Department of State’s visa website.

Q: I filed the Form I-130 petition in the United States. Can the Guangzhou Field Office tell me the status of my case?

Unfortunately, the Guangzhou Field Office only has information regarding Form I-130 petitions filed directly with our office. For information regarding the case status of a Form I-130 petition filed in the United States, please contact the USCIS contact center at 1-800-375-5283 and/or the Consular Section at the US Embassy or Consulate having jurisdiction over the case.