Form I-131A, Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation)

131A, Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation)

Use this form if you are a lawful permanent resident (LPR), including an LPR with conditions, and you are:

  • Returning from temporary overseas travel of less than one year, and your Green Card has been lost, stolen or destroyed;


  • Returning from temporary overseas travel of less than two years and your reentry permit has been lost, stolen or destroyed;


  • You wish to apply for a travel document (carrier documentation) that allows you to board a flight without the airline or transportation carrier being penalized.


For a child born abroad to an LPR, please see the section entitled “Filing and Other Special Instructions.”

Notice:  Please direct U.S. entry and admission questions to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) at

You may apply for carrier documentation if you are an LPR and:

  • You are returning from temporary international travel of less than one year and your Permanent Resident Card (also known as a Green Card or Form I-551) has been lost, stolen or destroyed.
  • You are returning from temporary international travel of less than two years and your reentry permit (Form I-327) has been lost, stolen or destroyed.

The length of your absence from the United States will be measured from the time you departed the U.S. to the time you pay the fee for filing Form I-131A.

If you are an LPR with an expired Green Card, you may not need to file a Form I-131A. We encourage you check with your airline or vessel before filing a Form I-131A.

Although regulations generally require an LPR to travel with a valid Green card, CBP policy permits a transportation carrier bound for the United States to board an LPR without carrier documentation if you:

  • Are an LPR who has an expired Green Card that was issued with a 10-year expiration date, or
  • Are an LPR with an expired Green Card with a two-year expiration date AND you also have a Form I-797, Notice of Action, for Form I-751 or Form I-829 to remove the conditions on your permanent resident status. The Notice of Action extends the validity of the Green Card for a specified length of time, generally one year.

Appointments may be made via our InfoPass website. Please be advised that the Consulate is closed on US and local holidays. Please also note that applications may not be filed with our office by mail. The document will be valid for no more than 30 days and cannot be extended.  I-131A processing time usually takes 1 to 2 weeks.

The Form I-131A can be found on the USCIS website: (PDF 394 KB).

Before appearing at this office to file a Form I-131A, you must pay the filing fee for this form online using the USCIS online payment system.  You may pay the fee with your credit or debit card or U.S. bank account. When you appear in person to file Form I-131A, you must bring evidence that you paid the fee, such as a printed copy of your payment confirmation page or a printed copy of your emailed receipt. Please note: The payment must be fully processed in our system before we can issue the carrier document. Please do not appear for the appointment in our office until five days have passed since you submitted the payment. As with all immigration fees, we do not issue refunds, regardless of the decision on the application.

Required Documents

Form I-131A ; $ 575 Payment receipt; Original passport; Passport copy; Copy of the latest Entry and Exit Stamp; Original Greencard (if applicable); Greencard copy; 2 US visa size photo (51mm X 51mm); Previous Travel Itinerary depart from US ; Original I-797, I-829, I-751 Action of notice and copy (if applicable) .

Child Born Abroad to a LPR

If you are an LPR and your child is born abroad during a temporary absence from the United States, your child may enter the United States without a visa before he or she turns two years old if your child accompanies you on your first return to the United States. CBP’s guidance indicates that an airline may board a child in this situation. If an airline refuses to board your child without carrier documentation, we can issue a transportation letter. You do not need to file Form I-131A or pay a fee for this service.

If your child does not come to the United States when you, the LPR parent first return to the United States, consult the U.S. Consulate or this USCIS office about the availability of an immigrant visa for your child.

Outside the U.S. For More than One Year

If you have been outside of the United States for more than one year without a reentry permit (or more than two years with a reentry permit), you will need to either seek a returning resident visa (SB-1) with the Consular Section of the U.S. Consulate or U.S. Embassy nearest to you, or consult with the USCIS office that has jurisdiction over the country in which you are traveling about an alternative travel document.

For information about maintaining your residency receiving your Green Card, see our After a Green Card is Granted page.