Abandonment of Status (Form I-407)

If you wish to abandon your U.S. permanent residence and relinquish your permanent resident card (“green card”), you may file the Form I-407, Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status, either in-person or by mail. The Form I-407 is available here (PDF 321 KB).  It is important that your submission include your email address, return mailing address (provide the address in English and Mandarin), and telephone number

After we process the Form I-407, we will provide you with a copy as a receipt. You should keep the processed Form I-407 copy in your passport when you travel to the United States. You may also need to provide a copy to a consular official should you choose to apply for a U.S. visa in the future.

Once your Form I-407 is processed, you will revert to your previous status as a non-resident of the United States. You will need to comply with any visa requirements for nationals of your country of citizenship for any future travel to the United States.

The abandonment of lawful permanent resident status is irrevocable. An individual who relinquishes lawful permanent resident status must qualify again for such status. Abandoning your permanent resident status does not affect your ability to apply to immigrate to the United States at some future time. However, you will have to begin the process anew and apply through the usual application process.


A Form I-407 submitted in-person is generally processed within one week (and can sometimes be processed on the same day as the submission). The Form I-407 may be submitted in-person to the Guangzhou Field Office on Friday mornings via our InfoPass website (an appointment is required).  Please be advised that the Consulate is closed on U.S. and local holidays. Please bring your valid passport, your permanent resident card, and any other travel documents issued to you by USCIS.

By mail

The processing time for a Form I-407 received by mail is usually 30 to 45 day. Should you choose to mail the Form I-407, please provide a copy of your passport, your permanent residence card, and any other travel documents issued to you by DHS-USCIS. Do not include your social security card.

If you are mailing the Form I-407 from Chinese mainland/inland (excluding Hong Kong and Macau), please send the submission to:

DHS – U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
U.S. Consulate General
43 Hua Jiu Road, Zhujiang New Town
Tianhe District
Guangzhou, China

If you are mailing the Form I-407 from Hong Kong or Macau, please send the submission to:

Field Office Director
Department of Homeland Security
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
American Embassy Box 12
120-122 Wireless Road
Bangkok 10330 Thailand