Victims of Crime

If you are the victim of a crime overseas:

  • Contact the local police to report the incident and get immediate help.  Request a copy of the police report.  The telephone number for police is the same throughout China:  110
  • Contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate

Consular officers are available for emergency assistance 24 hours/day, 7 days/week.  Contact information for U.S. Embassies and Consulates overseas can be found here or by going to our individual Country Specific Information pages.  To contact the Department of State in the U.S. call 1-888-407-4747 (from the U.S. or Canada) or (202) 501-4444 (from overseas).

The State Department is committed to assisting U.S. citizens who become victims of crime while abroad.  We help in two ways:

  • Overseas: consular officers, agents, and staff work with crime victims and help them with the local police and medical systems.
  • In the United States: our office of Overseas Citizens Services will stay in touch with family members in the United States if you signed a Privacy Act Waiver, and help provide U.S.-based resources for the victim when possible.