Passport Renewal for Children Under Age 16

We strongly encourage you to fill out your passport application online, print it, and bring it to our office. This will greatly reduce the time you have to spend at the Embassy or Consulate.

To better serve customers, all routine services in ACS are by appointment only.

Please bring your child and the following items to the Embassy or Consulate to renew your child’s passport:

  • Evidence of child’s U.S. citizenship. Child’s most recent U.S. passport;
  • Completed U.S. passport application, Form DS-11.  Please do not sign this form, it will be signed in front of a consular officer;
  • Evidence of Parent’s relationship to child. Child’s certified U.S. birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or other evidence of parents’ relationship to child;
  • Acceptable Identification for each Parent.  Please provide a valid, government-issued form of identification for each parent;
  • Photocopies of the required documents are needed;
  • Notarized Parental ConsentForm DS-3053, for each parent not present at the time of application;  If neither parent is present, a notarized statement signed by both parents authorizing a third party to renew the child’s passport must be presented to the Consulate; 
  • Facial development photos. Photographs of the child showing his or her facial development since the last U.S. passport was issued up to the present time;
  • One U.S. passport-sized photo: 2″ X 2″, with a white or light-colored background;
  •  The application fee for minor U.S. passports is $115.00.  

For children under 16, both parents need to be present and provide unequivocal consent to passport issuance by signing the application form in front of the Consular Officer. If one or both parents are unable to attend the interview, non-appearing parent(s) must submit a notarized letter of consent, in English, or the  DS-3053, which can be notarized at the American Embassy free of charge (click here for DS-3053). Consulates will also accept letters of consent notarized by non-American notaries. Alternatively, the parent applying for the passport must submit proof of sole, legal custody.

Children ages 16-17 with their own identification can apply for a passport by themselves. However, it is recommended that at least one parent appear in person with the child to identify him/her and to show parental awareness.

NOTE:  Although the two-parent consent requirement does not apply to children aged 16 or 17, per Department regulations (PDF 187 KB) a passport generally will not be issued to a child if a parent or legal guardian who has custodial rights over a child has notified the Department in writing that he or she objects to issuance of the passport.

The consular officer has the right to request additional information.

Additional Reminders:

– Please print out and submit only one-sided pages of the application.

– You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one, in accordance with 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f).

  • If you do not have a Social Security number, you must submit a signed statement including the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct:  I have never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration.”
  • For more information, please see Frequently Asked Questions.