Notarial Services

Consular officers perform services customarily provided by Notaries Public in the United States. To better serve customers, all notary services in ACS are by appointment only. Please click here to access the appointment calendar.

In order to receive notarial services, you MUST confirm that you:

  • Understand the document that you must sign;
  • Know the locations in the document where you must sign in front of a notary. Please note that you might need to sign the document many times, but only those signatures that require a notary need to be signed at the time of your notarial appointment.
  • Know the locations in the document where the notary must sign.

If you are unprepared for your appointment you may be required to make a new appointment on a later date. American Citizen Services staff are not able to explain the document to you, nor are they able to tell you where to sign.

Notarial services may be provided for non- U.S. citizens only if the document to be notarized will be used in the United States.

What we can do:

  • Acknowledgement – An Acknowledgement of execution is used for legal agreements, deeds, powers of attorney, business documents, etc. for use in the United States.
  • Affidavit – An affidavit is one’s sworn statement. Please keep in mind the consular office assumes no responsibility for the truth or falsity of the representations that appear in the affidavit.  If you are getting married in China and need to get a notary for an Affidavit of Marriageability, click here to view detailed information.
  • Certificate of true copy – A certificate of true copy can be used to verify documents issued by the U.S. Department of State.  For example, U.S. passports, Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), etc.  Please bring the original documents with you for verification.
  • Authentication (details please see below)

What we CANNOT do:

  • Service of process – The American Citizen Services office is not authorized to serve legal documents in China under the Hague Convention. Detailed information on the service of process in China please visit the U.S. Department of State website
  • Signature guarantee – U.S. banks or mutual fund companies often require signature guarantees. Unfortunately, we cannot legally perform a signature guarantee. Please check with your bank or stock company, here or in the U.S. for additional information.
  • Perform notaries on documents written in a language other than English.
  • Academic Credentials: We cannot notarize, certify, or authenticate academic credentials.  Instructions on how to obtain this service can be found here. Details please see below.

Required items at time of notarization

  • The documents to be notarized
  • Identification such as passport, driver’s license, school ID, etc
  • Witnesses, if required
  • Fee USD 50 for each notarial

Acceptable payment
U.S. cash, equivalent RMB cash, traveler’s checks or credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Diners Club, or Discover; in U.S. dollars only). We DO NOT take personal checks. Please click here (PDF 179 KB) for a list of consular fees.


Consular Officers at the U.S. Embassy and its consulates in China are able to authenticate certain Chinese documents that have been notarized by a Chinese notary. Such documents include powers of attorney, agreements, university diplomas, various local certificates, and business licenses. The process involves three steps:

1. Get your document notarized by a local Chinese notary.

2. Send the notarization to the local Foreign Affairs Office (FAO, 外办) or one of the agencies authorized by the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA, 中国外交部) to get your document authenticated. For detailed information the Chinese government’s procedures, please visit the Chinese MFA’s website at

3. Make an appointment for notarial services and bring your authenticated document to the U.S. Embassy or one of the Consulates General for an additional authentication of the FAO official’s signature.

The U.S. Embassy and Consulates General are unable to authenticate diplomas or other documents from universities and other schools in the United States or provide notarial services related to such credentials. In an effort to be of assistance to U.S. citizens who wish to present academic credentials from the United States for use in foreign countries, a step-by-step guidance is provided on the State Department’s website.

There is an optional service that the academic credentials could be notarized or authenticated by Chinese organizations affiliated with the Chinese government. An introduction of the service (Chinese only) and the online application is available at

Please note: The Department of State does not endorse or promote specific providers or services and assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear above. The information above is submitted as an information resource only and is not meant to be comprehensive.