Internal Revenue Service (U.S. Taxes)

Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA)

The Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA), enacted in 2010 as part of the Hiring Incentives to Restore Employment (HIRE) Act, is an important development in U.S. efforts to combat tax evasion by U.S. taxpayers with investments in offshore accounts.

Under FATCA, U.S. taxpayers with financial assets outside the United States must report those assets to the IRS. In addition, FATCA will require foreign financial institutions to report directly to the IRS information about financial accounts held by U.S. taxpayers, or held by foreign entities in which U.S. taxpayers hold a substantial ownership interest.

For more information, please click here.

IRS Information for U.S. Citizens Residing Abroad

The IRS has created a new comprehensive tax page which is directed to U.S. citizens who reside abroad. This page contains basic tax information that Americans overseas need to know and also includes links to more detailed topics such as the foreign earned income exclusion, foreign tax credit, reporting foreign bank accounts, Fulbright grants, state taxes, and a myriad of others. Rather than navigating through, this page will provide “one stop shopping” for U.S. citizens abroad. The intent is to provide answers to most of their tax questions in one place. The site also provides information on how to contact the IRS to get additional assistance.

ACS does not have tax forms available in our office.  Tax forms may be downloaded at

Taxpayers with routine return preparation questions may call International Taxpayer Helpline in Philadelphia (Tel: 267-941-1000, open 6 AM – 11 PM Eastern Standard Time).

For more information on U.S. taxes, please consult the list of websites and telephone numbers below to help find the forms and answers you need.

Main IRS website:
Tax guidance for U.S. citizens abroad:
Tax guidance for persons in the  military:

Phone Services:
Individuals                                            1-800-829-1040
Businesses                                           1-800-829-4933
Customer Service Phone Number       1-267-941-1000 (not toll free)
Refund Inquiries                                   1-800-829-4477
TeleTax                                                 1-800-829-4477
ITINs after 6 weeks                              1-800-829-1040
Exempt Organization Help Desk           1-877-829-5500
Tax Offset Program (TOP) Help Desk    1-800-304-3107
E-Services Help Desk                            1-512-416-7750

State Tax Returns

For individual state income tax information, visit  The Embassy does not have state tax forms or state tax information.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I contact the IRS?

Taxpayers located outside the U.S. may contact the IRS by mail at:
Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 920
Bensalem, PA 19020
Or you may telephone or FAX the Philadelphia Service Center office at:
Tel: 267-941-1000 (not toll-free)
Fax: 215-516-2555
Phone service available from 6:00 am to 11:00 pm (EST) M-F

IRS forms and publications as well as extensive information for taxpayers can be found at the IRS website:

Can an Embassy officer help me with my taxes?
Embassy Officers are not permitted to give advice on the filing of income tax returns, other than to refer taxpayers to the appropriate Internal Revenue Service (IRS) forms and information pamphlets, which are downloadable from the IRS website. Only IRS employees are authorized to provide guidance to individuals on tax matters. Inquiries on tax matters should be directed to IRS.

Does the Embassy or Consulates have tax forms?
The Embassy and Consulates do not have tax forms available.  Tax forms may be downloaded at

What if I can’t file in time?
Overseas taxpayers are automatically eligible for a two-month extension if they are unable to file their taxes by the April 15 deadline. Simply wrote “Overseas Taxpayer” at the top of your return to claim the extension. Please note that an extension to file does not mean to have an extension to pay. If you owe tax, interest will accrue from the April 15 deadline.

Since I live overseas, aren’t I exempt from paying?
Some overseas taxpayers may qualify for the Foreign-Earned Income Exclusion. However, there are strict qualifying criteria. Please consult with the IRS or an accountant to learn if you qualify.

Tax Preparers

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) does not endorse or recommend these, or any other commercial tax preparation services.  These preparers should have PTIN (Preparers Tax ID Number) in order to prepare tax returns for a fee.  You must exercise due diligence when selecting one.  The IRS is not responsible for the quality of their work products.

American Expat Tax Services Pte Ltd
American Expat Tax Services is Singapore’s premier full service tax firm for Americans living and working abroad.
Singapore Tel: (0065) 9729 4300, (0065) 8338 1040
U.S. Based Fax: (001) 336-450-1984

American Pacific Tax Limited 
Address: Unit 19, 12/F, 657 King’s Road, Quarry Bay Hong Kong
Tel: (00852) 2985-8218
Fax: (00852) 2968-0670

American Tax Service
Singapore Tel: (0065) 6408-3870
Singapore Address: 02-01 One Fullerton, 1 Fullerton Road, Singapore 049213
Hong Kong Tel: (00852) 5808-0477
Attn: Joseph Manuel CPA, JD

Andrew L. Moore, CPA
Specialize in tax preparation and planning for United States citizens living and working abroad. Expertise in the field of US foreign earned income exclusion, foreign tax credit, foreign self-employment in come, foreign bank account and asset disclosures, and various income tax treaties. With more than 8 years experience and being a licensed Certified Public Accountant, Andrew L. Moore has the knowledge and experience necessary to meet the needs of US citizens working and living abroad.
Tel: (001) 678-310-6223
FAX: (001) 678-782-8056
Address: Andrew L. Moore, CPA, 2400 Barrett Creek Boulevard#926
Marietta, GA 30066

Asia Tax
c/o Click Partners Ltd
Add: Room 813, 8/F Hollywood Plaza, 610 Nathan Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Tel: (00852) 8176 4882

Capital Tax & Accounting Services Ltd
Add: Suite 206, Central Plaza, 227 North Huangpi Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai
Tel: 021-2316 5382
Fax: 021-5213 5116
Hong Kong:
Add: Silvercord Tower 2 Level 17, 30 Canton Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Tel: (00852) 3959-8208

US Expat Tax Preparation & Strategy
Services: MiklosCPA provides personalized service in US tax preparation and consulting for American Expats living and working abroad, foreign nationals, and businesses subject to US tax laws including FBAR and FACTA reporting.
Add: 1055 W. 7th Street, 33rd Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90017, USA
U.S. Tel: (001) 213-283-9002

Protax Consulting Services Inc
U.S. individual international taxation, specifically as related to U.S. expatriates living and working outside the U.S.
Add: Suite 416, Penn Plaza Seven, New York, NY 10001
Tel: (001) 212-714-9070
Fax: (001) 212-714-6654

Add: 3422 Old Capitol Trl, Ste 1945, Wilmington, DE 19808 USA
Tel: (001) 302-760-9758
Fax: (001) 302-397-2704

Korea Add: Itaewonro 54 Gil 58, Yongsan-Gu, Hannam-dong, Seoul, Korea 04400
Korea Tel: Stephen Boush EA: (0082) 10 2910 2221
Jun Jang EA: (0082) 10 4447 5574
Fax: (001) 757 285 7772

Triangle Accounting, Inc. (USA)
Shanghai Branch:
Add: C7-13/F, Jiangsu Plaza, No. 778 Dongfang Road, Pudong New District, Shanghai
Tel: 021-5019 9809 or 5019 9810
Fax: 021-50199810-808
Zhengzhou Branch:
Add: Room 1106, Tower B, Ludu Square, Zhengbian Road intersection of Weilai Road, Zhengzhou, Henan Province
Tel: 0371-5339 8300

U.S. Abroad Tax
Add: Suite 605, Level 42, CITIC Square, 1168 Nanjing West Road, Shanghai
Tel: (0086) 21 5117 9517
Fax: (0086) 21 5252 4616

Shanghai Office:
Add: 29/F, Shanghai Kerry Centre, 1515 Nanjing Road (W), Shanghai
Tel: 021-5213 8006, 021-5213 5116
Hong Kong Office:
Add: 6/F,  ING Tower 308, Des Voeux Road Central, Hong Kong
Tel: (00852) 8191 3886
Affiliate Tokyo Office
Tel: (0081) 3-6436 5055

Wicklow Tax Advisors
Office Locations:
Av. Pau Casals, 4, 2-2, 08021 Barcelona, Spain
Tel:  Shanghai: (0086) 18616784770
Barcelona (0034) 678687105 (0034) 93 252 6069
Email Address: