Citizenship Services

Click here to learn more about applying for or renewing a U.S. passport.

If your child was born in China, click here to learn more about documenting your child as a U.S. citizen.


Americans who wish to renounce their U.S. citizenship must complete the forms below and contact the U.S. Embassy/Consulate via email to discuss their intentions with a consular officer.  The process takes at least 6 – 8 weeks to receive the approval of the renunciation from Washington. The Consulate will hold onto the U.S. passport during this period.

For information regarding renunciation of U.S. citizenship, please see U.S. Citizenship Laws and Polices. You may need to fill out forms as follows (5 copies for each form):

  • DS-4079 (PDF 142KB) Information for Determining Possible Loss of U.S. Citizenship
  • DS-4080 (PDF 32 KB) Oath of Renunciation of the Nationality of the United States
  • DS-4081 (PDF 1.33MB) Statement of Understanding Concerning the Consequences and Ramifications of Renunciation of U.S. Citizenship
  • DS-4082 (PDF 25 KB) Witnesses’ Attestation Renunciation of Citizenship
  • DS-4083 (PDF 35 KB) Certificate of Loss of Nationality of the United States

Please be aware that the fee for processing renunciation of U.S. citizenship cases, pursuant to Section 349(a)(5) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), is $2,350. This fee is predicated upon the Department’s statutory authority to set the amount of fees for the consular services it provides.