A child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents may acquire U.S. citizenship at birth if certain statutory requirements are met. The child’s parents should contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (CRBA) to document that the child as a U.S. citizen.

Parents of a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen or citizens should apply for a CRBA and/or a U.S. passport for the child as soon as possible. Failure to promptly document a child who meets the statutory requirements for acquiring U.S. citizenship at birth may cause problems for the parents and the child when attempting to establish the child’s U.S. citizenship and eligibility for the rights and benefits of U.S. citizenship, including entry into the United States. By law, U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States.

Please use the links to the right to arrange for a CRBA appointment.  To schedule a CRBA appointment in Beijing, please send an email to with completed DS-2029 and copy of the birth certificate. Please noteto have a CRBA appointment in Shanghai, you must first schedule an appointment and then wait for a confirmation email.  To have a CRBA appointment in Guangzhou, please send an email to GuangzhouCRBA@state.govTo apply in Chengdu and Shenyang, you must first schedule an appointment.