On the Occasion of International Anticorruption Day and International Human Rights Day
OFFICE OF THE SPOKESPERSON
DECEMBER 10, 2020
On the occasion of International Anticorruption Day and International Human Rights Day, the Department of State and the Department of the Treasury announced sanctions designations and visa restrictions on perpetrators of corruption and serious human rights abuse.
People’s Republic of China
Wan Kuok Koi
- Wan Kuok Koi, also commonly known as Broken Tooth, is a leader of the 14K Triad, one of the largest Chinese organized criminal organizations in the world that engages in drug trafficking, illegal gambling, racketeering, human trafficking, and a range of other criminal activities. In addition to bribery, corruption, and graft, the 14K Triad has engaged in similar illicit activities in Palau. Koi is designated under E.O. 13818 for being a foreign person who is a leader or official of an entity, including any government entity, that has engaged in, or whose members have engaged in, corruption, including the misappropriation of state assets, the expropriation of private assets for personal gain, corruption related to government contracts or the extraction of natural resources, or bribery. The U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) also designated three entities that are owned or controlled by Broken Tooth:
- World Hongmen History and Culture Association, based in Cambodia and established in 2018 by Broken Tooth;
- Dongmei Group, based in Hong Kong; and,
- Palau China Hung-Mun Cultural Association, based in Palau.
- Huang Yuanxiong is the Chief of the Xiamen Public Security Bureau (PSB) of Wucun Police Station, Fujian province, China. Huang was involved in gross violations of human rights in Xiamen, amounting to particularly severe violations of religious freedom, in connection with the detention and interrogation of Falun Gong practitioners simply for practicing their beliefs. The Department of State publicly designated Huang under Section 7031(c) for his involvement in gross violations of human rights. In addition to Huang, the Department also designated his spouse.