Location: People’s Republic of China
Event: There is an ongoing outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) first identified in Wuhan, China. The global public health threat posed by COVID-19 is high, with more than 80,000 reported cases worldwide.
The government of PRC has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice.
State/local government actions: Effective immediately, most major metropolitan areas in China will require travelers entering China from nearly all foreign destinations, including the United States, to undergo screening for COVID-19 and perform 14 days of monitored quarantine, either in their residence or in a Chinese facility, with the quarantine location determined based on their risk of COVID-19 infection. In some locations, travelers may be expected to pay for their accommodations while undergoing quarantine. Travelers may not have control over the amenities offered at quarantine locations. These quarantine measures are not consistent across China and submitting to them is mandatory. U.S. citizens may also be required to install and use location tracking software on their phones in order to access public spaces and some businesses. Some private hospitals may refuse admittance to travelers who have been in the United States 14 days prior to entering China.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC websitefor the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.govfor the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19for information on conditions in China.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Be aware you may be subject to quarantine for an undetermined period of time if you plan to travel to China.