An official website of the United States government

Frequently Asked Questions
August 10, 2021

Each case is unique.  This website is only intended to provide general information.  DHS-USCIS Guangzhou is unable to provide you with legal advice or assist you with the preparation of immigration forms.  For legal advice or for assistance in preparing immigration forms, please contact a legal representative.

Can’t find the answer?
The DHS-USCIS website includes many tools and resources for lawful immigration to the United States, including:
How Do I Guides
Explore My Options
Emma, Virtual Assistant


Q: How can I find out about adopting a child overseas?

A: For information about adopting a child from overseas, visit www.uscis.gov/adoption.

Please be advised that visas for children adopted in China are issued by the U.S. Department of State. For in-depth information about adoptions in China, please visit Intercountry Adoption in the Department of State website or the Adoptions Unit of the U.S. Consulate General in Guangzhou.


Q: How can I become a permanent resident of the U.S.?

A: Please visit the USCIS.gov webpage on Green Cards and Permanent Residence in the U.S. for a comprehensive listing of options.


Q: I have a Green Card. May I travel outside the United States? 

A: Permanent residents are free to travel outside the United States, and temporary or brief travel usually does not affect your permanent resident status.  However, there are some limitations: Responsibilities of LPRs


Q: I have a Green Card.  I have been outside the United States for an extended period of time.  Can I return to the United States?

A: It depends.  Please see the DHS-USCIS webpage on Returning Residents.  For information on how to apply for SB‑1 Returning Resident Visa, please see the Department of State’s webpage Immigrant Visa Section at the U.S. Consulate in Guangzhou.

If you wish to return to the United States temporarily, see the Department of State’s Non-immigrant Visa information page.


Q: My Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) Card (Green Card) is about to expire. Can I file Form I-90 at DHS-USCIS Guangzhou?

A: No.  However, you may be able to file the Form I-90 electronically.  The DHS-USCIS Guangzhou Office cannot assist you in creating your online account.


Q: What if I am overseas and not in possession of my Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)?

A: You may be eligible to file a Form I-131A to request a travel document.  Please see I-131A.


Q: I lost my Green Card. What should I do?

A:  First, we suggest that you report the loss of your Green Card to the local police or authorities. You may be eligible to file a Form I-131A to request a travel document.  Please see I-131A.


Q: I forgot my Green Card in the United States. What should I do?

A: You should have someone send it to you.


Q: I applied for a Green Card but I have not received it. What should I do?

A: If you have your receipt number, you should contact the DHS-USCIS case status service online or call the National Contact Service Center (NCSC). USCIS Contact Center.


Q:  I have an emergency and need to leave the United States.  Do you have any guidance?

A:  Please see the DHS-USCIS website on Emergency Travel – Departing the US.


Q: I expect to be outside of the United States for more than 12 months. What should I do?

A: You may need to obtain a re-entry permit.  Please review the DHS-USCIS webpage on

International Travel as an LPR and the instructions to the Form I-131.


Q: Can I file for a re-entry permit with the DHS-USCIS Guangzhou?

A: No.  An application for a re-entry permit Form I-131 is filed in the United States.


Q: Can you replace an Advance Parole document?

A: No, the DHS-USCIS Guangzhou Office cannot issue you a replacement advance parole document.  You should review the national DHS-USCIS website Form I-131 for guidance.


Q:  I left the United States before I received an Advance Parole document.  Can you issue it?

A:  No.  The DHS-USCIS Guangzhou Office cannot issue you an advance parole document.  You should review the national DHS-USCIS website Form I-131 for guidance.  In some instances, an individual may be eligible to apply for humanitarian parole.


Q: I entered the United States on an immigrant visa. My address changed before I received my Green Card. What should I do?

A: Contact DHS-USCIS, please see Change of Address Information.


Q: I filed Form I-130 for my family member. Can my family member enter the U.S. as a tourist before receiving an immigrant visa?

A: We are unable to assist with this matter.  The U.S. Department of State issues visas.  For in-depth information about visas, please visit the Department of State’s website on visa information

Further, it is at the discretion of the Customs and Border Protection officer at the port of entry to determine whether an individual’s intention for entering the United States is only temporary or as an intending immigrant.  If the latter, the officer can refuse the individual entry into the United States and return the individual to the China.  For more information about admission into the US, please visit http://www.cbp.gov.


Q: Do I need translations of my non-English documents?

A: Yes.  An English translation of any document written in another language is required.  Translations do not need to be notarized but must include a statement by the translator certifying that the translation is complete and accurate and that the translator is competent to translate.


Q: Can I ask you to review documents in support of my application by email?

A: No.  Unless we specifically ask you to provide documentation by email, we will not review the sufficiency of evidence or adjudicate a case through email.  If you are responding to a request for evidence or a notice of intent to deny, you should send your response to us by mail.  (You may wish to send it by EMS so that you can track the package.)  All of the information should be sent at one time.


Q: How do I obtain another copy of my Form I-407?

A: Please see the USCIS.gov website on how to obtain documents from DHS-USCIS through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) process.


Q: Where can I find a DHS-USCIS form or verify that I am using the most current edition of a form?

A: Here is a link to the DHS-USCIS Forms. Each form type lists the Edition Date.


Q: How can I pay fees for a case I am filing at an address in the U.S.?

A: Please read the instructions to the form type and see the DHS-USCIS webpage on Paying USCIS Fees .We are unable to accept fees for U.S. domestic filings.


Q: How do I check status of my case that is being processed by an office in the U.S.?

A: Please see the USCIS.gov contact page or use the USCIS form here.


Q:  How do I contact a DHS-USCIS office located in the United States?

A: DHS-USCIS (Main Website): https://www.uscis.gov/

Phone Number: 1-800-375-5283 or 1-800-767-1833 (TDD for the deaf or hard of hearing)

Contact Information: https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/contact-us


Q:  Does DHS-USCIS have resources in languages other than English?

A: Yes.  Please see our DHS-USCIS Multilingual Resources Page.