Foreign NGO Management Law Goes into Effect January 1, 2017
- On January 1, 2017, China’s Ministry of Public Security will begin implementing and enforcing the new Foreign NGO Management Law, imposing a new regulatory framework on all foreign NGOs regardless of their sphere of activity. The MPS has published NGO registration guidelines on its website, although some requirements and procedures remain unclear. U.S. citizens employed by or associated with non-governmental organizations operating in China may face special scrutiny and/or penalties for non-compliance with the new law and regulations.
American Citizen Services units in the Embassy and constituent Consulates General maintain a list of legal service providers who may be able to help NGOs navigate these new requirements. Consular officers cannot act as attorneys or advise on legal matters.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and China Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in China, located at No. 55 An Jia Lou Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing, at 010-8531 4000 or 011-86-10-8531 4000 if you are calling from the United States, 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon and 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, or by email at BeijingACS@State.gov. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is 010-8531 3000 or 011-86-10-8531 3000 if you are calling from the United States.
Contact information of the U.S. Consulates General in China is listed as below:
– Chengdu: 028-8558 3992 or 011-86-28-85583992 if you are calling from the U.S. or by email at AmcitChengdu@state.gov;
– Guangzhou: 020-3814 5775 or 011-86-20-38145775 if you are calling from the U.S. or by email at GuangzhouACS@state.gov;
– Shanghai: 021-3217 4650 or 011-86-21-32174650 if you are calling from the U.S. or by email at ShanghaiACS@state.gov;
– Shenyang: 024-2322 1198 or 011-86-24-23221198 if you are calling from the U.S. or by email at ShenyangACS@state.gov.