An official website of the United States government


If you need emergency assistance, please call: 021-8011-2400
Outside of office hours, contact: 010-8531-4000
Standard business hours are from 8:00am to 5:00pm
Passport pickup is open 10:30am-12:00pm and 2:30pm-4:30pm, Monday-Friday
The Consulate is closed for all U.S. and Chinese holidays

To make an appointment, please visit https://forms.office.com/g/FHB5QzSyb6. We frequently add new appointment slots, so please be sure to check back regularly for additional available times.

COVID-19 related inquiries

Please be advised that the U.S. Consulate has extremely limited ability to intervene in local quarantine or pandemic-control measures. Your neighborhood committee (jūwěihuì) is the best contact for discussing quarantine requirements or requesting special accommodation. Your employer may also be able to assist in contacting local authorities. If your health code unexpectedly goes red, please contact local authorities by calling their hotline at 12345.

For information on COVID-19 related travel requirements to travel to the United States, please consult the U.S. CDC’s Travel Page and the U.S. CDC’s FAQ Page. For information and resources regarding COVID-19 in China, please consult the U.S. Embassy COVID-19 Information Page. For information on requirements to enter the People’s Republic of China from the United States, please contact the PRC Embassy or Consulate located nearest to you.

Chinese work or residency permits

The ACS Unit is unable to answer questions about Chinese residency permits. Please contact your local PRC Exit Entry Bureau (EEB) by calling their hotline at 12367.

Visa inquiries

The ACS Unit is unable to answer queries about immigrant or nonimmigrant visas. For inquiries about nonimmigrant visas, lost/stolen green cards, or boarding foils please see http://www.ustraveldocs.com/cn or call the U.S. visa information service call center in China at (010) 5679-4700, or from the U.S., dial (703) 665-1986. If you have an inquiry about a specific visa case, you may contact a customer service representative by email at support-china@ustraveldocs.com.

Overseas voting

The Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) and the Department of State’s page on Absentee Voting Information are the most up-to-date voting information resources for Americans living abroad. Please visit these websites to learn about deadlines and procedures for registering and voting. Overseas U.S. citizens usually need to register every year. To get started, visit FVAP website. If you need to send a ballot via physical mail, please come directly to Shanghai ACS and deliver ballot mail during business hours (no appointment needed). The U.S. Consulate needs to receive all mail-in ballots by October 1 to ensure their timely arrival in the United States.

Contact us

American Citizen Services
U.S. Consulate General Shanghai
1038 West Nanjing Road, 9th Floor
Tel: (021) 8011-2400
Fax: (021) 6148-8266