Employment Opportunities at U.S. Embassy Beijing
The U.S. Embassy in Beijing is staffed by direct hire Americans assigned to the Embassy by their agencies in Washington, their Eligible Family Members and Members of Household, and Locally Employed Staff.
The Human Resources Office advertises all positions on the embassy’s website. If you are interested in applying for a position at Embassy Beijing, please read the information that follows to ensure that you understand our employment policies and the application procedures before submitting any application.
Employment Opportunities for Locally Employed Staff at U.S. Embassy Beijing
To All Interested Candidates:
- Vacancy Announcement: Temporary Human Resources Clerk, HR, FSN-6/FP-8, Closing Date: September 4, 2019 (PDF 150KB)
To Current Employees of the Mission:
- None at the moment
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants MUST submit the following documents to be considered:
- Universal Application for Employment (UAE) (Form DS-174) (PDF 182 KB) (Form DS-174 Additional Work Experience)(PDF 99 KB); and
- Any additional documentation that supports or addresses the requirements listed above (e.g. transcripts, degrees, etc.)
IMPORTANT: Applicants claiming a U.S. Veteran’s preference must submit written documentation confirming eligibility (e.g., Member Copy 4 of Form DD-214, Letter from the Veteran’s Administration, or certification documenting eligibility under the VOW Act with an expected discharge no later than 120 days after the certification is submitted) by the closing date of the vacancy announcement. If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veteran’s preference will not be considered in the application process. Specific criteria for receiving a U.S. Veteran’s preference may be found in HR/OE’s Family Member Employment Policy (FMEP).
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation. The Department of State also strives to achieve equal employment opportunity in all personnel operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs. The EEO complaint procedure is not available to individuals who believe they have been denied equal opportunity based upon marital status or political affiliation. Individuals with such complaints should avail themselves of the appropriate grievance procedures, remedies for prohibited personnel practices, and/or courts for relief.
To submit applications:
- Make sure that all documents are in PDF format.
- Make sure that the application is in English.
- If applying as an EFM or MOH, also, include in your email the name and section of your sponsor at the U.S. Embassy in Beijing, as well as the date of your arrival at post if you are not yet in Beijing. As an EFM, you will receive hiring preference. However, it is your responsibility to indicate your EFM status.
- Send all documents via email to USEmbassyBJHR@state.gov. Quote the position title and your name in the subject line of your email.
- All applications will be reviewed to assess whether the candidate meets the eligibility and qualification requirements stated in the vacancy announcement. HR will contact candidates who are selected for an interview, and inform candidates who are not selected.
- All Ordinarily Resident (OR) applicants must already have relevant documentation to permanently and legally reside and work in China to be eligible for consideration.
- Applications that do not have the necessary information will not be considered.
- Applications that do not include the qualification certificates required by the Vacancy Announcement will not be considered.
- Only applications sent to USEmbassyBJHR@state.gov will be considered.
Employment Opportunities at U.S. Embassy Beijing for Family Members and Diplomats
The following positions are open only to Eligible Family Members (EFMs) and Members of Household (MOHs) who hold a diplomatic “W” visa and have a spouse or direct family member who is a U.S. government employee assigned to Embassy Beijing. Please see definitions for more information. Note that some positions may be open only to EFMs and not to MOHs.
If you are not eligible for positions listed here, you may be eligible for positions open to Locally Employed Staff (LES).
Current announcements open only to U.S. EFMs and U.S. MOH- All Agencies
- Vacancy Announcement: Housing Assistant, FP-07, Closing Date: September 24, 2019 (561KB)
- Vacancy Announcement: Diplomatic Courier Escort, FP-08, Closing Date: September 24, 2019 (423KB)
- Vacancy Announcement: Assistant CLO (PT), FP-07, Closing Date: September 24, 2019 (423KB)
- Vacancy Announcement: Assistant CLO (FT), FP-07, Closing Date: September 24, 2019 (423KB)
- Vacancy Announcement: Post Language Program Coordinator, FP-06, Closing Date: September 24, 2019 (479KB)
HOW TO APPLY
Applications must be submitted in English and in Word or PDF format to BeijingHREFMApplications@state.gov. The subject line must include the position title and your name. The body of the email must include the name and section of your sponsor at the US Embassy in Beijing as well as the date of your arrival at post if you are not yet in Beijing. Applications must contain the following attachments:
- Required: Universal Application for Employment (UAE) (Form DS-174) (PDF 640 KB).
- Required: HR Bio (PDF 245 KB)
- Required: Copy of passport and visa showing Chinese Government approval to legally reside and work for the U.S. Government in China.
- Required (if applicable): Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their DD-214 form with their application. If the DD-214 is not submitted with the application, the applicant will not be considered for Veterans preference.
- Required (if applicable): Candidates who have previously worked for the U.S. Government should provide a copy of their most recent SF-50.
- Recommended: A cover letter addressing the required qualifications detailed in the vacancy announcement and how the applicant meets these qualifications.
- Optional: Any other documentation (e.g. resume/CV, essays, certificates, awards) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
Only complete applications received by the application deadline will be considered. All applications will be screened to determine whether the candidate meets the eligibility and qualifications requirements as stated in the vacancy announcement. HR will inform candidates of their application status after the qualification review is complete.