- Step 1: Please read the instructions below
- Step 2: Please make an appointment online
Documents issued in one country and intended for use in another country must be “authenticated” or “legalized” in order to be recognized as valid in a foreign country. Authentication is the procedure by which the authority of persons who issue or execute documents in one country may be legally recognized by another country. Chinese documents issued by local Chinese authorities may be authenticated for use in the United States.
U.S. Consulate General Guangzhou only authenticates signatures of officials with the Foreign Affairs Office located within our consular district. Our consular district covers the provinces of Guangdong, Guangxi, Fujian and Hainan.
Please note that consular authentication of a provincial FAO official’s signature conveys no judgment on the part of the authentication officer as to the validity or truth of the document. Thus, the authentication of a provincial FAO officer’s signature by a U.S. consular officer is merely that, attestation to the veracity of the foreign official’s signature. We make no claim to the veracity of the contents of the document.
How do I authenticate my Chinese document for use in the U.S.?
- First, the document must be notarized by a local notary public;
- Next, the Foreign Affairs Office (FAO) of the provincial government which has jurisdiction over the city where the document was notarized must authenticate the notarized document;
- The Consulate will then authenticate the signature of the Foreign Affairs official.
What will I need to bring to the Consulate?
- Acceptable identification for entry into the Consulate;
- Your document to be authenticated;
- Authentication Fee, U.S. $50.00.
List of the Provincial-level Foreign Affairs Offices
Guangdong Provincial Foreign Affairs Office
Service Division of Diplomatic Missions
Add: #2 You Lin First Road, Guangzhou, Guangdong
Tel: (86-20) 8121-7589; (86-20) 8121-9789
Fax: (86-20) 8121-6029, (86-20) 8121-7763
Working Hours: 8:00am-12:00pm; 2:30pm-5:00pm (Mon.-Fri.)
Guangxi Foreign Affairs Office
Add: 14 Minzhu Road, Nanning City, Guangxi
Tel: (86-771) 562-6414
Fax: (86-771) 562-3972
Fujian Provincial Foreign Affairs Office
Add: 1/F, 97 Hua Lin Road, Fuzhou City, Fujian
Tel: (86-591) 8782-9733
Fax: (86-591) 8787-3581
Hainan Provincial Foreign Affairs Office
Add: Room 635,Provincial Government Building, #9 Guoxing Dadao, Haikou City, Hainan
Tel: (86-898) 6533-4180
Fax: (86-898) 6533-4171