U.S. Citizen Services

The American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit provides emergency assistance to American citizens in distress: when an American is destitute, arrested, separated from minor children, or sick. During the Consulate’s normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, excluding holidays), the ACS Unit can be reached at our normal office phone number:  (028) 8558-3992 via Consulate operator.  We are open for regular and walk-in appointments Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 13:00 – 16:00. Please click here to make an appointment.

Please ensure your appointment type matches the service requested. You will be asked to reschedule if your appointment is incorrect. If you need more than one service during your visit, please be sure to make separate appointments.

In accordance with new security regulations, any individual who is visiting the U.S. Embassy or Consulates General in China (this includes individuals seeking consular services from American Citizen Services units) is not permitted to bring a laptop into the Embassy or Consulate General. Individuals should be prepared to adhere to this requirement by not bringing a laptop with them, or finding an outside location to store their laptop. Please note, the Embassy and Consulate General security guards are not able to take possession of your laptop nor store it for you. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

After regular business hours, your call will be routed to an operator who will assist you in reaching our Emergency After Hours Duty Officer.  If you experience any difficulty in reaching the operator after hours, please call (010) 8531-4000 from within China  or (011-8610) 8531-4000 from the U.S.

If you are injured or are the victim of a crime, please contact the police in your local area. In the Chengdu consular district and throughout China, the Police Emergency Number is: 110; the Medical Emergency Number: 120; the Fire Emergency number is: 119.


For information regarding emergency contact information for U.S. citizens please click HERE.

To make an appointment with the American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit please click HERE. We are open for appointments Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 13:00-16:00. ACS will be closed on both U.S. and Chinese national holidays.  Click HERE for a list of American and Chinese holidays.

The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) allows you to record information about your current address or upcoming trip abroad, so that the Department of State can assist you in case of an emergency.  Please enroll at this website.

Q: I’m leaving China.  How do I remove myself from registration/enrollment?

A: If you enrolled online, visit this website to cancel your enrollment.

For information regarding passports services, please click HERE.

For information regarding the birth of a child to a U.S. citizen parent or parents please click HERE.

Notary Public: Notary services are by appointment only. For more information or to make an appointment please click HERE.

Criminal Record: For information about how to conduct a criminal record check click HERE.

Certifying Educational Diplomas: For options to authenticate academic degrees for use in China, please click HERE and navigate to the bottom of the page.

Marriages in China are administered by the marriage registration office of the local civil affairs bureau, (民政局Min Zheng Ju) in each jurisdiction. People planning to marry should call or visit one of these offices before proceeding. This must be done at the civil affairs office at the jurisdiction in which the Chinese citizen is registered (户口).

For general information on U.S. citizens contemplating marriage to a Chinese citizen please click HERE.

Legal Assistance: For American citizens requiring legal assistance please click HERE for a list of lawyers in the Chengdu Consular district (Sichuan, Guizhou, Yunnan, Chongqing, and Tibet). For more information regarding legal resources please refer to our Mission China legal assistance page HERE.

Medical Assistance: For information about general health in China, medical facilities in your area, and medical insurance please click HERE.

For information about lost or stolen green cards, lapsed green cards, or abandonment of permanent resident status please click HERE.