U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

USCIS Beijing Field Office

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is the federal agency that oversees lawful immigration to the United States. We are a division of the Department of Homeland Security. To learn more about the USCIS mission and core values, please click here.

The Beijing Field Office is an overseas component of USCIS. We have jurisdiction over the following regions within China:

Beijing, Hebei, Heilongjiang, Inner Mongolia, Jilin, Liaoning, Shanghai, Shanxi, Tianjin. Please note that the USCIS Guangzhou Field Office has jurisdiction over the remainder of China.


The following are links to information pages regarding some of the services provided by our office:

Mailing Address

Please address all correspondence to our office as follows:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
U.S. Department of Homeland Security
U.S. Embassy Beijing
No. 55 An Jia Lou Road
Beijing, China 100600

Office Location 

For appointments at the USCIS Beijing Field Office, enter through the Embassy’s east gate. The east gate is located at the Tian Ze Road Intersection of An Jia Lou Road, close to Ladies’ Street (女人街) and the Laitai Flower Market, opposite the Kempinski Hotel and Lufthansa Shopping Center. The nearest subway location is the Liangmaqiao stop on line #10. Our full address is:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
U.S. Embassy Beijing
No. 55 An Jia Lou Road (安家楼路)
Beijing, China 100600

Visiting Our Office
Appointments with our office must be made via USCIS’ InfoPASS appointment system here. Please be advised that our office does not take customers on a walk-in basis. All individuals who would like to visit the office must make an appointment and are required to present government-issued photo identification upon arrival.

Please note that no bags and electronic devices are allowed to the U.S. Embassy Compound. Please do not bring these items to your appointment.

For information regarding the dates on which our office is closed, please see the following listing of U.S. and Chinese holidays.

Email, Phone and Fax Numbers


I-730 Email:

(010) 8531-3111 (from within China)
011 (8610) 8531-3111 (from the United States)

(010) 8531-3100 (from within China)
011 (8610) 8531-3100 (from the United States)

U.S. citizens residing in our jurisdiction may file an I-130 petition with either the USCIS Beijing Field Office or Dallas Lockbox. The Beijing Field Office will accept I-130 petitions filed by U.S. citizens on behalf of their:

  • Spouse
  • Unmarried child under the age of 21
  • Parent (if the U.S. citizen is over the age of 21)

Other I-130 petition types (e.g. siblings, married children, etc.) filed by U.S. citizens must be filed with the Dallas Lockbox. Please note that all I-130 petitions filed by Lawful Permanent Residents must also be filed with the Dallas Lockbox.

The jurisdiction of the Beijing Field Office includes: Beijing, Hebei, Heilongjiang, Inner Mongolia, Jilin, Liaoning, Shanghai, Shanxi, Tianjin.

For people residing in other regions of mainland China, please contact the Guangzhou Field Office at CIS.Guangzhou@uscis.dhs.gov for further assistance.

Filing Procedures

An appointment is necessary to file an I-130 petition with our office. To make an appointment, please visit USCIS’ InfoPASS system here . Please note that petitions may not be filed with the Beijing Field Office by mail.

It is only necessary for the petitioner to be present at the time of in-person filing. The beneficiary’s presence is not required, although it may be helpful if additional information should be needed.

A fee of $535 is required at the time of filing. The fee may be paid in U.S. dollars, Chinese RMB or credit card. Please be advised that checks (personal, travelers, certified, etc.) and money orders are not accepted.

Required Documents

To obtain a copy of Form I-130 as well as filing instructions, please click here. Please see pages 2-4 of the I-130 instructions (PDF 78 KB) for a full list of documents to submit with your Form I-130. In addition to the documents listed in the I-130 instructions, please bring the following when coming to our office to file your petition:

  • If married in China, please bring the original marriage certificate (结婚证) as well as a notarial copy (结婚公证书).
  • Original passports for both the petitioner and beneficiary (if available) as well as copies of the biographic page of each passport.
  • If the beneficiary does not have a passport, please bring his or her original birth certificate (出生证) as well as a notarial copy (出生公证书).
  • Evidence of the petitioner’s residence in China. Please note that
    • We need a Residence Permit for Foreigner in the People’s Republic of China (居住许可) to prove your residence in China. Holder of a Chinese visa (签证) in any categories must apply for a Residence Permit for Foreigner to prove their residence in China before direct filing with USCIS Beijing Field Office.
    • U.S. citizens whose principal residence is not China and/or are abroad for a short-term visit as a tourist or on business must file their I-130 petition with the Dallas Lockbox. For example, temporary travelers under Chinese L visa will generally not qualify for direct filing with USCIS Beijing Field Office.

In addition to submitting the above documents, please be sure to answer each question on the Form I-130 as well as have the petitioner (not the beneficiary) sign and date Part E of the Form I-130. Following these steps will enable us to complete the processing of your case in the most expeditious manner.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q: How long will my I-130 petition take to process?

A: The Beijing Field Office generally processes I-130 petitions in 30-60 days. Within this period of time, you should receive: (a) a final decision; or(b) a request for additional evidence (if further information is needed).

Q: How will I receive notification regarding my case?

A: Notification will be sent to the Chinese address you list on the Form I-130. It is, therefore, important that your address be legibly written in Chinese characters in Part C, Question 20 of the Form I-130.

Q: What should I do if my case is pending more than 60 days and I have not received anything in the mail?

A: To inquire about a case pending more than 60 days, you may contact us at: DHSBeijing-CIS@dhs.gov. We ask that you please refrain from contacting our office for status inquiries prior to 60 days. Your cooperation will help us ensure that we maintain expeditious and timely case processing for all of our customers.

Q: What happens after my case is approved by the Beijing Field Office?

Upon approving your I-130 petition, the Beijing Field Office will forward it to the Department of State Immigrant Visa Unit. The Department of State will contact your relative directly to schedule a visa interview. If you should have questions about your case after it has been approved by our office, please contact the Department of State via their visa website or via telephone at 400-616-1121 (for callers in China) or 703-665-1986 (for callers in the United States). Please be advised that we will not have information regarding the status of your case after it has been approved by our office.

Q: I understand that after the Beijing Field Office approves my case, it will be forwarded to the Department of State. Where can I get information regarding the Department of State portion of this process?

The Department of State Immigrant Visa Unit has information regarding this process which may be accessed via their visa website here.

Q: Am I required to present information or documents regarding the issues of domicile, affidavits of support and/or medical examinations when filing my I-130 petition with the Beijing Field Office?

No, information and/or documents regarding domicile, affidavits of support and medical examinations are not required for the Beijing Field Office to process your I-130 petition. There are, however, issues that the Department of State will address in determining your family member’s eligibility for an immigrant visa. For further information, please visit the Department of State visa website.

Q: I filed my I-130 petition in the United States. Can the Beijing Field Office tell me the status of my case?

Unfortunately, the Beijing Field Office only has information regarding I-130 petitions filed directly with our office. For information regarding the case status of I-130 petitions filed in the United States, please contact the USCIS Contact Center at 1-800-375-5283 and/or the Consular Section at the US Embassy or Consulate having jurisdiction over your case.

You can submit the Form I-407 by mail to the USCIS Eastern Form Center. You will need to turn in your Permanent Resident Card, if available, along with any other travel documents issued by USCIS. Do not turn in other identity documents that were not issued by USCIS.  The form will no longer be accepted by international field offices. You can find additional filing information on the Form I-407 Web page.

As of November 1, 2019, the processing of form I-131A at US Embassy Beijing has been transferred to the Department of State.  Instructions on how to file can be found at: https://china.usembassy-china.org.cn/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/green-card-holders/boarding-foil/ 

Child Born Abroad to an LPR or Immigrant Visa Holder

If you are an LPR and your child is born abroad during a temporary absence from the United States, your child may enter the United States without a visa before he or she turns two years old if your child accompanies you on your first return to the United States.

If you hold an immigrant visa and your child is born after the issuance of the visa, your child may enter the United States without a visa if you travel together with the child during the validity of your visa for your initial admission as an immigrant, and you present the child’s birth certificate.

Customs and Border Protection (CBP) provides guidance that an airline may board a child in these situations. If an airline refuses to board your child, please refer the airline to the Carrier Information Guide. If the airline continues to insist on documentation, please contact this office at DHSBeijing-CIS@dhs.gov with evidence that the airline has required documentation—we may in some instances issue a transportation letter to facilitate boarding. You do not need to file Form I-131A for this transportation letter.

Outside the U.S. For More than One Year

If you have been outside of the United States for more than one year without a reentry permit (or more than two years with a reentry permit), you will need to either seek a returning resident visa (SB-1) with the Consular Section of the U.S. Consulate or U.S. Embassy nearest to you, or consult with the USCIS office that has jurisdiction over the country in which you are traveling about an alternative travel document.

For information about maintaining your residency receiving your Green Card, see our After a Green Card is Granted page.


A full listing of fees may be found in the Forms section of the USCIS website.  Fees paid for applications and/or petitions filed with the Beijing Field Office may be paid in U.S. dollars, Chinese RMB or credit card. Please be advised that checks (personal, travelers, certified, etc.) and money orders are not accepted.


Please note that the Beijing Field Office does not issue immigrant or nonimmigrant visas. For in-depth information about visas, please visit Visa Services in the U.S. Department of State website or the Non-Immigrant Visa Section of the U.S. Embassy in Beijing.