The Global Undergraduate Exchange Program (Global UGRAD) awards a diverse group of emerging undergraduate-level student leaders a scholarship for one semester of non-degree academic study at a U.S. college or university. The United States Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs runs the Global UGRAD program to give participants from underrepresented backgrounds an opportunity to study in the United States. Successful applicants will receive in-depth exposure to U.S. society, culture, and academic institutions, as well as opportunities to enhance their professional skills.
- Applicants must be a citizen of the country in which they apply for the Global UGRAD Program.
- Applicants must be studying in the country in which they apply for the Global UGRAD Program.
- Scholarships will be granted to students who currently are enrolled in full-time undergraduate programs only, having completed a minimum of their first semester of study. Participants must have at least one semester or an equivalent term to complete at their home institutions upon completion of the Global UGRAD Program.
- Applicants should demonstrate leadership potential through academic work, community involvement, and extracurricular activities.
- Applicants must achieve a minimum TOEFL score of 48iBT. Students who score between 48-60 may be able to take virtual English Language Training prior to the exchange portion of the program, but they must achieve a minimum score of 61 to be eligible to participate in the exchange portion of the program in the United States.
- Applicants with little or NO experience in the United States or outside of their home countries will have preference.
- Applicants must return directly to their home country after completing the program.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
Application and Program Timeline:
The application period for the 2023-2024 academic year goes from November 1, 2022 to December 15, 2022. Participants will complete the program at a U.S. university in either the fall 2023 semester (August – December 2023) or spring 2024 semester (January to May 2024).
Application Deadline: December 15, 2022
You can find additional information at the following links: Global UGRAD website
Apply online at UGRAD Student Application 2023-24
U.S. Embassy Program Contact:
Beijing Exchange Program
Public Affairs Section
U.S. Embassy, Beijing
Tel: 010-8531-3046, 8531-3387