All intercountry adoptions from China are processed at the U.S. Consulate in Guangzhou. Adoptions from China currently account for more than one third of all international adoptions to the United States, making the Guangzhou Consulate one of the largest adoption units in the world.
For additional information about adopting a child from the PRC please click here to access Guangzhou’s Adoption website.
For the latest information on intercountry adoptions for adopting parents, agencies, attorneys, social workers, and adoptees please click here to see the State Department Adoption website.
U.S. Consulate General Guangzhou’s adoptions unit issues all immigrant visas to adopted orphans from mainland China. Please visit Adoption.state.gov to begin researching this multi-phase process.
China is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Inter-country Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Therefore all adoptions between China and the United States must meet the requirements of the Convention and U.S. law implementing the Convention. Do not adopt or obtain legal custody of a child in China before a U.S. consular officer issues an “Article 5 Letter.”
Our contact information is:
- Physical Address: Huaxia Road, Zhujiang New Town (near Exit B1 of the Zhujiang New Town subway station, Line 3 and Line 5) Tianhe District Guangzhou, China
- Mailing Address: U.S. Consulate General 43 Hua Jiu Road, Zhujiang New Town Tianhe District Guangzhou, China 510623
- Phone: 011-86-20-3814 5000
- Email: GuangzhouA@state.gov
Other Useful Links:
Medical Examination Information
General Instructions and Affidavit form
- Medical Examination Instructions / List of Panel Physicians (PDF 250 KB)
- Affidavit Concerning Exemption from Immigrant Vaccination Requirements for a Foreign Adopted Child (PDF 23 KB)
Center for Disease Control and Prevention Technical Instructions for Vaccinations, Tuberculosis, and Congenital Syphilis
- 2009 Technical Instructions for Panel Physicians for Vaccinations
- Tuberculosis Screening and Treatment Technical Instructions (TB TIs) using Cultures and Directly Observed Therapy (DOT) for Panel Physicians
- Congenital Syphilis
Center for Disease Control and Prevention Frequently Asked Questions for Adoptee Families Regarding Tuberculosis
The following are links to forms and instructions for adoption agency and prospective adoptive parent use:
- Letter of Seeking Confirmation (LSC) & Article5 Drop-Off Cover Sheet (PDF 8 KB)
- Document Checklist for Visa Interview
- Requirements for Adopted Children Immigrant Visa Application Photos
- Additional Department of Homeland Security, Citizen and Immigration Services forms
Non-Hague Adoptions Forms
- Form I-604 (PDF 871 KB): Request for and Report on Overseas Orphan Investigation