Mission China has issued more than 85,000 student visas since May 2021
As summer is the time of year where U.S. Mission China processes the bulk of student and scholar visa applications, the United States provides the following facts and figures.
- The United States welcomes legitimate Chinese students and scholars. Students and scholars from China contribute greatly to America’s diversity. The United States is the top receiving destination globally for Chinese students, and we are proud of the personal ties we have fostered in tripling the number of students from China over the past 10 years.
- The U.S. commitment to facilitating legitimate travel is as strong as ever, as demonstrated by the more than 85,000 student visas Mission China has issued since May 2021.
- In light of some abuses of the visa process, the United States implemented a narrowly targeted policy to protect U.S. national security interests. That policy impacts a tiny percentage of the overall number of F and J visa applicants.
- The United States constantly reviews its policies and adjudications to facilitate the legitimate travel of all visa applicants. The numbers show clearly that the United States stands ready to issue visas to all those who are qualified—including Chinese students and scholars.
- We continue to prioritize student visas and our consular officers–along with thousands of schools throughout the United States–are eager to assist Chinese students and scholars.